Friday, January 29, 2010

What a bunch of Phonies



Some sad news to report on, Wednesday January, 27th our beloved JD Salinger pasted away from old age. He was 91. He had been living seclusivly in his New Hampshire home for 50 years. He wrote, most famously, A Cather in the Rye published in 1951 and it became almost instantly an American best-seller and rightly so. A timeless work that stood for many teens, as well as, myself as a manifesto of sorts. I can remember my first time reading "Cather" in my 11th grade, Mr. Hotze's, English class with a bunch of clowns and took Holden as my own. Hotze analyzed the book brilliantly. I couldn't imagine hearing anyone elses opinion on the novel then from, the unmarried french/English/theater instructor how had been at Moeller for 40 plus years. ...not to mention he almost convinced me to act in the school play for gods sake... What was you first Holden experience? i would be interested to know



"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment